[PD-dev] multi-architecture deken packages

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Apr 15 21:15:49 CEST 2021

On 4/15/21 18:26, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Thanks for all the clarifications, it's still hard for me to follow it all,
> but I think I got the most of it :)
>
> Bottom line, we gotta test a RPi with binaries for armv6 and armv7,  if no
> significant improvement is found on armv7 (and there might not be), let's
> just ship armv6.

yes.

> The only issue is that deken might not give the armv6 option for armv7.

why would it not?
since armv7 is backward compatible with armv6, deken will offer to
install either of the two architectures if it believes that it is
running on armv7.
(and it will only offer armv6 if it believes that it is running on armv6)

> But
> the funny part is that most people with a RPi 3 and stuff end up getting
> armv6 instead anyway :) not sure what to do about that. Hopefully this
> information for RPi users can be easily found.

alternatively: find some simple enough code to do runtime detection of
the actual arm CPU.

gfSDR
IOhannes