[PD-dev] plans for next Pd release

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 14:35:11 CEST 2021

Personally, as this affects fundamental objects, I would do both. As this can be a workflow issue, my thinking is:

* Assume vast majority of users & use cases want fixed behavior (or don't particularly care), so update objects to use new/fixed behavior by default.

* Add a compatibility flag for older projects which *rely* on older behavior for *all* instances of the objects.

* Add a creation argument to the objects for those cases where people rely on the old behavior for certain situations, but also want the newer behavior for most other instances.

* Document the old versus new behavior in a help-patch subpath with comparisons.

> On Aug 5, 2021, at 10:55 AM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 10:55:38 +0200
> From: Max <abonnements at revolwear.com <mailto:abonnements at revolwear.com>>
> To: pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] plans for next Pd release
>
> On 05.08.21 03:56, Miller Puckette via Pd-dev wrote:
>> I'm using that as rarely as I can, so far only for bug fixes.  I don't think
>> a limit on numerical accuracy is exactly a bug.  I think it's nicer to most
>> users not to have them have to bother with specifying a compatibility
>> version.
>
> Maybe make the numerical accuracy a settable variable with the current
> depth as a default? (bonus: instant bitcrusher effect)

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>