[PD-dev] -verbose vs logpost() (IOhannes m zmoelnig)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Aug 26 17:09:39 CEST 2021

On 8/26/21 2:28 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> Maybe an additional -loglevel which allows you set the level explicitly? -verbose to me would set the log level to verbose overall & -noverbose would set it back to the default.

that might work, but...

do "-loglevel" and "-verbose" act on the same internal state?
because, right now, the two are kind of separate, and it's slightly
convoluted to separate them (given that with "-verbose" you get
additional *error* messages).

i think having them act on the same internal state is a bit redundant
and confusing (what is reported with "-verbose -loglevel 3 -noverbose"?)

otoh, if they are separate (like what we have right now in the Pd-GUI)
this might work (better?).
specifying "-loglevel 1" in "-stderr" mode would only print out messages
up to ERROR.
when printing to the Pd-console, specifying "-loglevel 4" would set the
pulldown menu to "4 all", but not enable verbose printout (like: showing
how patches are searched).
how would that interact with the GUI-preferences that currently save the
loglevel of the Pd-console? (this is obviously related to your other
question about persistent/temporary settings)

gfmadsr
IOhannes