[PD-dev] Binding gui externals to tcl/tk events

Eric Lennartson lennartsoneric at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 20:27:04 CEST 2021

Hello all,

I've been making some GUIs for myself and was looking at some of the else
library to see how it was done. Specifically this pad.c file.
<https://github.com/porres/pd-else/blob/master/Classes/Source/pad.c>

I was wondering, how would one bind messages to just the GUI object in
general, rather than to specific tags? I've tried changing this line from
dial_vis by removing the tag, but that doesn't seem to work. I only have a
basic knowledge of tcl/tk, so I'm pretty sure I'll be missing something
pretty basic and/or obvious.

Original:
sys_vgui(".x%lx.c bind %lxBASE <ButtonRelease> {pdsend [concat %s
_mouserelease \\;]}\n", cv, x, x->x_bindname->s_name);

Removed Tag:
sys_vgui(".x%lx.c bind %lx <ButtonRelease> {pdsend [concat %s _mouserelease
\\;]}\n", cv, x, x->x_bindname->s_name);

For context, I am trying to set up a system where I can assign a hotkey and
use that to select/deselect the gui.

Thanks,

Eric