[PD-dev] s4pd packaging: issues with [declare -path]

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 17:02:12 CEST 2021

Hi folks, I'm still working on the packaging of s4pd with regard to finding
scheme files, and am almost there, but having some weirdness with [declare
-path]. It was recommended to me that I advise people in the docs to put a
[declare -path s4pd] in their patches so that finding scm files would "just
work".

My understanding is that this would add the s4pd path to their file path,
meaning that files in that dir should get found, just as if one had put it
explicitly into the Pd path preferences. However, this doesn't seem to do
that on MacOS.

I run make install, and it puts my stuff in ~/Library/Pd/, so that there is
a directory, ~/Library/Pd/s4pd, with all the files, at the same level as
the external. But if I try to use a patch with an s4pd object and a
[declare -path s4pd], the declare path appears to make no difference: I
still need to go add ~/Library/Pd/s4pd to file preferences for the files to
be found.

Hopefully someone can clear up what is happening here, or my
misunderstanding of what the declare is supposed to do.

thanks!