[PD-dev] Find external and install it in an custom folder does not work anymore in Pd 052.1on Debian ...

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Tue Jan 4 20:58:02 CET 2022

First, good new year and thanks for 052.1 !

... In previous version I got a file dialog and then I could store it e.g. in
my "libs" folder within my project, which I also advised to my students
sharing my projects, since they operate on different OS... and this is an easy
task for most users.

Now I get an error (see below) [1].

Since I do not want to make an Pd folder, since I work on many different
(studio) computers and do not want to pollute the home directory with any
Application folder like "Pd" [2] on every account ...

So is this behavior intentional or an error ... so I will do an issue report.

If  intentional add an option to save the external into an chosen folder,
since this is really important for distribution of Pd applications.

mfg
 winfried

[1] Error response:

> couldn't open "/home/winfried/.local/lib/pd/extra/dekentmp.0": no such file
> or directory couldn't open "/home/winfried/.local/lib/pd/extra/dekentmp.0":
> no such file or directory>
>     while executing
>
> "open $downloadfilename w"
>
>     (procedure "::deken::utilities::download_file" line 4)
>     invoked from within
>
> "::deken::utilities::download_file $URL $fullpkgfile
> "::deken::download_progress"">
>     (procedure "::deken::clicked_link" line 16)
>     invoked from within
>
> "::deken::clicked_link
> {http://puredata.info/Members/musil/software/iemgui/1.21-1/iemgui[v1.21-1](
> Darwin-amd64-32)(Darwin-i386-32)(Linux-amd64-32)(Wind...">
>     (command bound to event)

[2] Also I do not like the recent behaviour to be forced to choose default
folders for externals installation, since also on headless computers when
setup automatically, it cannot answer an file dialog on first startup, I do not
know who had this idea or missed the discussion, to ask for one on first start
of Pd and not as an option to add it later...