[PD-dev] Find external and install it in an custom folder does not work anymore in Pd 052.1on Debian ...

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:58:23 CET 2022

> On Jan 6, 2022, at 12:00 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 20:19:07 +0100
> From: Winfried Ritsch <ritsch at iem.at <mailto:ritsch at iem.at>>
> To: pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] Find external and install it in an custom folder
> 	does not work anymore in Pd 052.1on Debian ...
>
> Thank you for the response.
>
> Am Mittwoch, 5. J?nner 2022, 13:07:38 CET schrieb Dan Wilcox:
>>> On Jan 5, 2022, at 12:00 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at> wrote:
>>>
>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 20:58:02 +0100
>>> From: Winfried Ritsch <ritsch at iem.at <mailto:ritsch at iem.at> <mailto:ritsch at iem.at <mailto:ritsch at iem.at>>>
>>
>>> [1] Error response:
>> That perhaps looks like a problem with deken itself.
>>
> It happens if Pd Document path is disabled and system path cleared.
>
> Not really a problem, but previous behaviour starting a file dialog did set the
> external path, so we have to change this settings before using find
> externals... anyway an error shouldnt happen.

Sounds like a bug yes. Please open an issue, if there isn't one already.

>>> [2] Also I do not like the recent behaviour to be forced to choose default
>>> folders for externals installation, since also on headless computers when
>>> setup automatically, it cannot answer an file dialog on first startup, I
>>> do not know who had this idea or missed the discussion, to ask for one on
>>> first start of Pd and not as an option to add it later...
>>
> Thanks, and one correction to above, not headless but mouseless and
> keyboardless, on headless it does not ask for default folder.

Ok good. I would be very remiss if Pd hung on a GUI plugin when running -nogui...

>> A very long discussion went on, part of which ended up as a proposal:
>>
>> https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/152 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/152>
>> <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/152 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/152>>
>>
> Thank you for the hint, now I understand...  I am too late for respones ;-).
>
> ... anyway I thought Pd is gentleware: respectful to environments, not
> wolvesware which tend to leave their marks everywhere where they can  ...
> but maybe it's only us old hacker generation, the younger generation got used
> to it.

I'm not going to rehash the whole thing but I tried to find a compromise for both, even if it's not perfect.

>> There is a key in the GUI settings for the Documents path which can be set
>> to "DISABLED" to avoid triggering the initial dialog. This is what is set
>> when you select No.
>>
> ok, so I can do on remote command:
>   $ mkdir -p ~/.config/Pd/org.puredata.pd.pd-gui
>   $ echo DISABLED > .config/Pd/org.puredata.pd.pd-gui/docspath.conf

I don't know the details of the Linux conf handling, but that looks correct.

For macOS, this would be the equivalent:

$ defaults write org.puredata.pd.pd-gui docspath "DISABLED"

>> Also, the documents directory handling is implemented as a plugin, so it
>> could be deleted or renamed to avoid it entirely.
>>
> I will take a look in this, but better dont touch the pd distributions
> packages..

Maybe we need to add a plugin override in general  (-noplugin "docsdir") or a docspath override specifically, ala -nodocsdir? I tried to make sure if doesn't ask if the home directory is not available or not writable (ala readonly setups), but maybe there can be another hacker-friendly check? Logic is in the plugin init proc:

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/tcl/pd_docsdir.tcl#L40 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/tcl/pd_docsdir.tcl#L40>

My original thinking was that if you didn't want the docspath handling, you'd just press No once and never see it again, however if you are working with more than a couple normal desktop installs, this can of course not be the case.

> mfg winfried
>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>>
>> danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/> <http://danomatika.com/ <http://danomatika.com/>>
>> robotcowboy.com <http://robotcowboy.com/> <http://robotcowboy.com/ <http://robotcowboy.com/>>
>

> --
> - ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch
> - ritsch at iem.at <mailto:ritsch at iem.at> - http://iem.at/ritsch <http://iem.at/ritsch>
> - Institut fuer Elektronische Musik und Akustik
> - University of Music and Dramatic Art Graz
> - Tel. ++43-316-389-3510 (3170) Fax ++43-316-389-3171

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>