[PD-dev] Why not use portaudio per default?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 21 18:00:53 CET 2022

On 1/21/22 14:59, Christof Ressi wrote:

>> i never use portaudio, as it never really *worked* for me.
>
>  From what I read below, what you actually mean is: "I never use
> portaudio's Jack implementation because it is too limited for my use
> cases". I can't believe that portaudio never worked for you in general...

i remember having problems (as in: dropouts).
but this was years ago and because i had a running alternative
(actually: two alternatives - JACK and ALSA) and so i had no incentive
to spend time in improving my PortAudio experience.

> portaudio already has a Jack-specific API to set the client name:
> https://github.com/PortAudio/portaudio/blob/master/include/pa_jack.h

probably.
my reference application is still audacity which on my system does not
set the JACK name (but then: i'm using audacity-2.4.2 which i understand
is not the latest and greatest)

>> - when using JACK via PortAudio, i can pick a destination where i want
>> but how do i do any non-trivial routing: e.g. [adc~ 1 2] go to my
>> soundcard channels 17 & 18 (the headphones), while [adc~ 3 4] go to
>> JackTrip and all four channels go to Ardour?
>
> Is this possible with Pd's implementation? How do you do this?

i'm using a dedicated JACK patching software (qjackctl).
the point is that Pd's JACK implementation does not interfere with my
patching software.

> That's also an issue with some ASIO drivers. At least with ALSA we
> should check
>
> 1) does this still happen with the latest portaudio version?
>
> 2) does portaudio offer a way to disable this?
>
> 3) can we add a way to disable this?
>
> Another solution would be to temporarily disable console output (unless
> "sys_verbose" is set). In fact, this could also be nice on Windows.

i think the proper way would be to have a flag to Pa_Initialize() to
suppress such output (or even better: a callback)
but that's of course something that needs to be changed in portaudio...

>> - finally when Pd *initializes* PortAudio i get one or more very nasty
>> and loud click sounds (about 0dBFS). presumably this is because of
>> some samplerate switching (but i really don't know).
>
> I never had this problem...
>
> 1) Is this really a problem with portaudio itself, i.e. does it happen
> with several apps that use portaudio?

as i said: i see all the problems i described also on audacity.
this includes the click at initialisation.

> 2) If yes, does it still happen with the latest version?

dunno.

> 3) Does it only happen with certain backends?

it happens at initialization time.
e.g. when i start "audacity".
there are no problems when i turn on DSP (or in audacity: when i start
playback)

fdcdsa
IOhannes