[PD-dev] Why not use portaudio per default?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 21 18:06:42 CET 2022

On 1/21/22 14:59, Christof Ressi wrote:
> I'm not sure about ALSA. Here would should really compare and see if
> there's a real showstopper in the portaudio implementation (that cannot
> be easily patched).

my understanding is that the native ALSA implementation allows for the
lowest latencies (at least under Linux)

but: i really don't know how well portaudio behaves in this respect.

> What about OSS? I understand that it's legacy, so maybe we can just use
> the portaudio implementation?

i think the merit of OSS is that it allows to build Pd with *zero*
external dependencies and still have sound (and MIDI): no libalsa, no
libjack.

this is probably also the most compelling reason for MMIO.

mgfds
IOhannes