[PD-dev] Why not use portaudio per default?

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Fri Jan 21 22:26:49 CET 2022

> 2nd, submodules do not allow for patching the vendored sources (e.g.
> we *could* remove the annoying printout at Pa_Initialize() in our
> vendored copy, but not with 'git submodule').

Actually, you can commit changes to a submodule:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/5542964/6063908. However, it's probably
cleaner to just make a fork.

> what i do care about is that the portaudio backend implementation of
> Pd remains (API-)compatible with released stable versions of PortAudio
> (and ideally (API-)compatible with the version of portaudio shipped in
> major linux distributions, esp. Debian)
Good point! The existing API won't change, but we can't use *new* API
functions.
> > now that it's officially on GitHub?
>
> this i don't really understand. what makes GitHub different from
> BitBucket, GitLab, SourceForge or git.jackaudio.org with respect to
> 'git submodule's?

Ah, sorry. What I meant was: "now that PortAudio uses Git (instead of
SVN)". However, I just realized that they "already" switched to Git in
2016, before they moved the repo to GitHub.