[PD-dev] Why not use portaudio per default?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 17:47:13 CET 2022

Also, I would be happy to see integrating more modern backends for Windows, ala the portaudio waspi implementation. We don't build it for now as I only kept the those APIs which we were building at the time when we did the autotools overhaul. Just modify the portaudiuo/update.sh script to include those .c files for the additional implementations and add them to portaudio/Makefile.am.

Also, since the portaudio configure script was very old and delicate, especially on macOS, we opted to build portaudio and portmidi as convenience libs ourselves. This may have improved on the portaudio side, but I ran into many problems with the portaudio configure failing while building the c files directly worked.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>