[PD-dev] Why not use portaudio per default?

alfonso santimone alfonso.santimone at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 19:52:52 CET 2022

Just my 2 cents as a not-pd-dev (sorry).
Given that PD is mostly conceived as a real-time enviroment, and all the
non ASIO and most of all MME, MMIO stuff on Windows is pretty distant  from
the real life concept of real time due to latencies that mostly need to
stay at minimum average of 10ms on the average Win based systems, i'd take
away all the "useless" stuffas indeed all the MMIO drivers.
WASAPI is the modern standard for Windows systems and btw it's still not on
par with ASIO.
In their recent versions it seems that Jack (and its Jackrouter ASIO
"skin") and PortAudio are pretty stable on Windows.
This one seems very interesting to in the ASIO department
https://www.un4seen.com/

bests

Alfonso Santimone
soundcloud.com/alfonsosantimone