[PD-dev] Why not use portaudio per default?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jan 24 18:06:41 CET 2022

On 1/21/22 22:26, Christof Ressi wrote:

>> 2nd, submodules do not allow for patching the vendored sources (e.g.
>> we *could* remove the annoying printout at Pa_Initialize() in our
>> vendored copy, but not with 'git submodule').
>
> Actually, you can commit changes to a submodule:
> https://stackoverflow.com/a/5542964/6063908.

no you can't.
or: you can (because a submodule is just another local repository), but
you cannot push (unless you have write access to the upstream
repository, e.g. https://github.com/PortAudio/portaudio)

 > However, it's probably
 > cleaner to just make a fork.

then you can obviously use the forked repo to push to.

my point was that you cannot patch the code in the submodule and carry
the changeset in the parent repository (that is: in the pure-data
repository)

as antoine has written, you can do that with "git subtree" (which i do
suggest in the pd-lib-builder docs), but there you include the full
release history of the vendored project.

dgfs
IOhannes