[PD-dev] do we need Pd-double binaries (Re: call for discussion double-precision file extension)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 29 17:09:18 CEST 2022

On 3/29/22 16:08, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> I haven't provided double precision externals yet because I think the
> binary should be easily available for those unaware of compiling magic

i'm not exactly sure what you mean here.

1st: you do not need a compiled version of Pd in order to produce a
double-precision external (at least on macOS and Linux).
so what are you waiting for?

2nd: i would rather have a handful of developers jump through the hoop
of compiling a Pd-double for themselves in order to test their
externals, than all Pd users on the earth download a Pd-double for which
there are no externals available.

as a developer (of compiled externals) i hope you can be asked to build
a Pd. the INSTALL.txt is quite detailed.
or put otherwise: should i trust a developer who is not able to build Pd?

gfmrd
IOhannes

PS: it's a bit disappointing though, that the first comment in this
discussion already digresses :-P