[PD-dev] do we need Pd-double binaries (Re: call for discussion double-precision file extension)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:04:08 CEST 2022

Em ter., 29 de mar. de 2022 às 12:10, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> i'm not exactly sure what you mean here.
>
> 1st: you do not need a compiled version of Pd in order to produce a
> double-precision external (at least on macOS and Linux).
> so what are you waiting for?

I just don't think it makes sense to stop my workflow and concentrate on
working on this if most people aren't using it yet, once the binary isn't
available. So yeah, I'm waiting for the binary to come up for everyone. But
I get your point that "all externals" should be made available. I don't
care about "all" and I can deal with my stuff, which I hope to be able to
take care of quite quickly once the time is right. Whenever the binary is
out there I can provide ELSE and Cyclone in a week or two the latest (I
hope).

But I don't really care, if we're organizing a work force to upload "all"
externals first, let's do it then, I will follow...

> as a developer (of compiled externals) i hope you can be asked to build
> a Pd. the INSTALL.txt is quite detailed.
> or put otherwise: should i trust a developer who is not able to build Pd?

I'm able to build Pd alright, but I don't think people should count on that
to trust me as a developer :) (I'm always open to say "don't trust me"
anyway, haha). But then, my point is, again, most people don't build Pd...

And here's another consideration. Some people (I know it's just a few
people) don't use externals and would be happy to try patches and start
working on this even though "all" externals aren't out there yet.