[PD-dev] call for discussion double-precision file extension

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Mar 30 17:40:22 CEST 2022

On 3/30/22 17:21, Christof Ressi wrote:
>> but i don't really see how it would help with fat binaries.
> Two solutions that come to my mind:
>
> 1) just use an ugly folder name:
>
> foo.pd/darwin-amd64-32.darwin-arm64-32/foo.dylib

the problem with this is, that it is not well-defined.

currently we calculate a few variants of possible names based on a
reference string ("darwin-arm64-32") and try to open files according to
these names.

but we cannot possible foresee all the possible variants; even if we
limit ourselves to 4 architectures, we get about 40 possible variants
(for any 1 architecture)

so we must do this differently: glob all files (or directories) and see
whether one of the results matches our reference string.

i'm not sure i want this: there seems to be much too much logic involved
for little apparent gain.

> Typically, the user won't see it :-)

the user will notice if loading libraries takes forever.

dgfamdsr
IOhannes