[PD-dev] Externals in Pd.52.2(Rosetta Mode) on Mac M1!

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 27 10:58:40 CEST 2022

On 4/27/22 09:01, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> That's valuable to know. Thanks, IOHannes. I still have two questions
> regarding this matter:
>
> 1. How does Deken detect current platform/arch? Does it something like
> `uname -m` or does it check what arch Pd has, or something else?

at compile time, Pd "knows" which architecture it is build for.
e.g. when the compiler produces x86_64 binaries for macOS, it sets some
macro(s) that Pd then uses to calculate the "Deken specifier".
when building universal (fat) binaries, the compiler really runs two
times, once with the macro for x86_64 and once with the macro for arm64.
when you run the binary, only one of the compiled files (with the proper
macro defined) is actually used.

> 2. Does the code-signing take into account only the compiled binaries
> or the whole app?
> Do I have to re-code-sign after having modified pd-
> gui.tcl?

i really don't know.

i would have expected it to only sign the binaries (so you wouldn't have
to re-sign after modifying pd-gui.tcl).
but then i just checked the
Pd-0.52-2.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources (which afaiu
contains the signatures), and it seems that the data-files are signed as
well...

i guess you just have to try :-)

> BTW: I have access to an M1 with macOS Monterey and hopefully will soon
> be able to build a few externals and test stuff.

that would be great.

gfmdasr
IOhannes