[PD-dev] [PD] how to compile externals for apple silicon?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun May 1 17:12:19 CEST 2022

By "modern" I was referring to the architectures, not the lib bundling mechanism.

I know I've mentioned it before and you bring it up again: it's probably possible to create a single fat lib with ppc, i386, x86_64, and arm64. This is, however, at best an academic exercise.

> On May 1, 2022, at 12:00 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 10:52:17 +0200
> From: IOhannes m zm?lnig <zmoelnig at iem.at <mailto:zmoelnig at iem.at>>
> To: pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] [PD] how to compile externals for apple silicon?
>

> On 5/1/22 09:42, Dan Wilcox wrote
>> You cannot build for i386. Support for that arch was famously removed in macOS 10.15 and those versions of Xcode which use its SDK, probably version 10 or so. Modern fat libs arm64 and x86_64.
>
> just to add a bit of confusion...
>
> technically, i think there's no difference between a "modern" and a
> "legacy" fat lib: it's a file format that can contain multiple
> architectures.
> there's absolutely nothing keeping you from having a fat binary that
> contains arm64, x86_64, i386 and ppc.
>
> the only obstacle is, that there is no compiler that can create binaries
> for all of these architectures.
> but you can create the binaries on multiple systems (different macOS/OSX
> versions; different Xcode installations) and then use 'lipo' to merge
> the different single-arch binaries into a single fat one.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>