[PD-dev] building fluidsynth~ (was: building fluid~ on Linux)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun May 1 17:56:52 CEST 2022

Em dom., 1 de mai. de 2022 às 01:58, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> homebrew does not support building fat libraries, so if you used brew to
> install your dependencies you might miss some parts for a truly  universal
> package.

yup, I used homebrew. And yeah, someone tested my fat (arm/x86_64)
fluidsynth~ and it complained about the dependencies, which is something I
really suspected it could happen.

So, now I need to find a way to have in my system an universal fluidsynth~
dynamic lib. I guess I'll have to join the fluidsynth list and ask for
that. Maybe they can also help me with the other issue where even a x86_64
fluidsynth installed for monterey via homebrew doesn't work in earlier
versions of macOS.

Maybe I need to have dependencies for both architectures and make them fat
manually? I wonder if that's it and if it's easy. Moreover, I guess I'd
need help with people with M1 macs around... (anyone?).

One last problem and question is that newer versions of macOS are really
rejecting loading the external because they think the dynamic lib has
malware or something. How can I make it seem notarized?

And I know we may have discussed this earlier but I can't find it. How come
isn't it just easier to create an external with an included static lib
instead of downloading an external with almost a dozen dynamic libs? It
seems it would be ideal to me to have a single fat binary with the
externals and the libs all together! I also mean this for windows and
linux, though I have to say I'm quite ignorant on Linux and don't know
about the challenges and also I don't know if people succeeded in providing
binaries with included dynamic libs for linux, please tell me if there are
any issues.

Thanks a lot