[PD-dev] avoid "unverified developer" when loading externals in mew macOS (was: how to compile externals for apple silicon?)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun May 1 21:19:19 CEST 2022

Em dom., 1 de mai. de 2022 às 15:48, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Are you building with the min macos version flag set to 10.9 or higher? I
> think that is required to avoid the dialog when loading.

Do you mean a special macos version flag in pdlibbuilder for min macos? I'm
just using pdlibbuilder by setting 'objectsdir' / 'arch' and 'extension',
so nope. I guess it defaults to min macOS 10.6, right?

Well, the thing is that I've built my last update of ELSE on monterey
without setting such a flag and if I download a fresh install from deken,
there's no complaint for  "unverified developer". So I wonder if somehow it
built things automatically with a higher min macos...

I thought I had to do something special to "notarize"  externals so they
can appear as if they are from "verified developer", so please let me get
things straight.

And well, yeah, I just tested compiling ELSE on mojave without any flags
--> https://github.com/porres/pd-else/issues/1241#issuecomment-1114313002

tested opening on Monterey and got the issue :( I wasn't aware that my
previous macOS releases were not loading in newer systems, yikes!

As for the dynamic libs for fluidsynth~, I don't know, if I use them as
they come from homebrew, I get the warning and I guess there's nothing
pdlibbuilder can do, so I have to go to the fluidsynth list and ask how I
can get fat binaries for the dynamic libs that won't appear as
"unverified".

thanks

> [...]
> escreveu:
>
>> Honestly, I don't know. I've not looked into specific versions of which
>> Xcode can compile what. I basically just follow the normal upgrade cycle of
>> keeping Xcode up to date with whatever macOS version I currently have. I
>> don't care to spend much more headspace on it than that!
>>
>> At some point, I couldn't build for i386 (I think some version of Xcode
>> 10) so I removed building for x86_64. The same happened when I upgraded to
>> some version of Xcode 12, I think, which included the SDK which includes
>> compiler support for arm64.
>>
>> I assumed I couldn't build i386 some time when I was on macOS 10.15 but I
>> didn't write it down. If you want to spend the time for an answer, probably
>> read through the Xcode release notes:
>> https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode-release-notes.
>>
>> If you want to download and try different Xcode version, there is a handy
>> site to the downloads provided by the Apple Developer portal:
>>
>> https://xcodereleases.com
>>
>> You will need a developer account to access them.
>>
>> On May 1, 2022, at 5:30 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Em dom., 1 de mai. de 2022 às 04:42, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>
>> escreveu:
>>
>>> You cannot build for i386. Support for that arch was famously removed in
>>> macOS 10.15 and those versions of Xcode which use its SDK, probably version
>>> 10 or so. Modern fat libs arm64 and x86_64.
>>>

>> Damn, double checked and tested. Using XCode 12.4 on Catalina, I was able
>> to compile else with a fat binary for both 32/64 bits, see -->
>> https://github.com/porres/pd-else/issues/1241#issuecomment-1114263525
>>
>> Back on Mojave, I downloaded 0.52-2 32 bits and tested the externals, it
>> worked!
>>
>> I can see it shouldn't, it really makes sense it should build or work, I
>> should have known better and expected a failure and be amazed when it first
>> compiled because it doesn't make sense, but it's happening.
>>
>> Also, I can't build for arm64...
>>
>> Anyone can help me solve the mistery?
>>
>> screenshot to try to prove i'm not crazy
>>
>> <166152846-b962d8e0-6fc7-461c-a1f0-e8e04c0d9682.png>
>>

>>> enohp ym morf tnes
>>> -----------
>>> Dan Wilcox
>>> danomatika.com
>>> robotcowboy.com
>>>

>>> On May 1, 2022, at 2:51 AM, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> So, I now have a partition with Catalina (10.15.7) and Xcode 12.4, which
>>> is the last version catalina accepts.
>>>
>>> According to https://developer.apple.com/pt/support/xcode/ I believe
>>> 12.1 could have been possible already. 12.5 needs Big Sur. Here's a table
>>> from the link
>>>
>>> Versão do XcodeSistema operacional mínimo necessárioSDKArquiteturaDestinos
>>> de implantaçãoSimuladorSwift
>>>
>>> Xcode 12.4 macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (Mac com processador Intel)

>>> armv7s
>>> armv7k
>>> arm64