[PD-dev] building fluidsynth~ (was: building fluid~ on Linux)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun May 1 21:39:35 CEST 2022

On Sun, 2022-05-01 at 12:43 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> for one, I'd like to use a decent keyboard GUI in the help example. I
> wanna have it as part of my tutorial and I wouldn't like to make
> students download it separately unless I really really have to and
> there's no other way around it. I don't mind that it's kinda hard and
> I don't really see how it specially makes things harder for me. Maybe
> a better point is "hey, what if people just want this and none of the
> other 450 externals?". That's a better point and, well, at least as
> it comes as separate binaries one can just grab it.

Yeah, that's a good point. Having to grab it from ELSE is not a good
advice, though, since as part of ELSE I can't do [declare -lib
fluidsynth]. I'd have to [declare -path else] for non-obvious reasons.
I don't think that nesting libraries is good practice and it might
confuse  people searching stuff through Deken.

I see your point of having everything nicely integrated. If I'd feel
strong enough about this I could upload separate packages for
fluidsynth.

Roman