[PD-dev] Pd-dev Digest, Vol 204, Issue 11

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue May 3 23:29:59 CEST 2022

My two cents: I have tried in the past to bundle dynamic libs generated/downloaded by homebrew into app distributions to run on other systems and *always* run into problems. It hs always been simpler to statically link, either to the home-brew lib or by building the lib(s) myself using a script or makefile. For longer term projects, I generally prefer to automate building the lib statically then linking it directly into the program.

> On May 3, 2022, at 8:57 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
>>> I often find things are a bit easier on Linux, but that's what I
>>> got
>>> accustomed to. In the case of the fluidsynth~ external, using the
>>> dynamic libraries from my distro (Ubuntu 22.04) doesn't seem
>>> practical,
>>> as libfluidsynth.so.3 links against virtually half the system.
>>> After
>>> executing the localdep script, I end up with 53 *.so files. Most of
>>> them aren't actually used when libfluidsynth is used for the pd
>>> external. Creating a more stripped down build of libfluidsynth
>>> probably
>>> would make sense here.
>
>> Cool, but how? :)?
>
> By building fluidsynth from source with the minimal set of configure
> flags required for the pd external.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>