[PD-dev] Compiling fat external binaries for Mac OS X

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 13:32:09 CEST 2022

On Wed, 2022-06-15 at 12:53 +0200, Dan Wilcox wrote:

> > On Jun 15, 2022, at 12:00 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:23:16 +0200
> > From: reduzent at gmail.com
> > To: pd-dev at lists.iem.at
> > Subject: Re: [PD-dev] Compiling fat external binaries for Mac OS X
> >
> > On Wed, 2022-06-08 at 20:04 +0200, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> > > You can simply pass in the arches you want using the "arch"
> > > makefile
> > > variable:
> > >
> > > make arch="x86_64 arm64"
> >
> > That's cool to know. In the case of purest_json, I believe it ships
> > with other dependencies (libjson?) and if those come from homebrew,
> > they're probably not fat. Is my assumption correct, that a fat
> > binary
> > would have to link to fat binary?
>
> I don't believe so. I think (not 100%) the system lib loading
> mechanism just needs to find the lib *and* have the right arch. I
> don't believe it matters if the lib is fat or not.

Thanks for the clarification. The interesting question (to me at least)
is: If I want to support both archs, does the linked library need to be
fat, or can I link to two separate files per dependency? If I can't
link to different files for different archs, this means there is no
other way  for maintaining support of both archs than to link to a fat
library.

Roman