[PD-dev] multichannel signals, preliminary support

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:30:44 CET 2023

I see there will not be a rule then on having to specify number of channels
in all objects.

Well, I don't use MAX and haven't checked their multi channel stuff in
depth, but I guess "all" MSP objects have this support if called with
"mc.", and there's a different help patch for, say, [lores~] and
[mc.lores~]. I find this all a bit confusing and more complex than ideally.

Am I right to expect we'll just add multichannel support for all vanilla
objects without having to worry about such complexity of adding a similar
different creator/help files?

And it's fine if some objects need or would benefit with specifying number
of channels, but may I propose we use a '-mc' flag for that? I'm thinking
that maybe adding this extra argument to some object might be problematic
(it wasn't with s~/r~) and better suited as a flag. Then, just for the sake
of consistency, using '-mc' for all is better.

I can think of something like [osc~ -mc 4] which creates 4 channels and
takes a multichannel signal to control the frequency of each oscillator. We
can then also provide frequencies for all channels as arguments after the
flag as well, like [osc~ -mc 4 400 500 600 700]. This would be very hard
without a '-mc' flag.

cheers