[PD-dev] multichannel signals, preliminary support

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 19:23:06 CET 2023

Em ter., 17 de jan. de 2023 às 14:26, Miller Puckette via Pd-dev <
pd-dev at lists.iem.at> escreveu:

> Hmm... well, old patches should run OK if the lib is explicitly loaded.
> But it's a bother that new patches that pull zexy in explicitly won't
> be able to use pack~ and unpack~.

That's not really true. What happens when zexy or any other external is
called with the same name as an internal object is that Pd renames is and
creates an alias for the old one. This used to be printed in the console at
level '2 normal' but now needs a higher level (and I don't know why, seems
like an important *normal* message).

In fact, zexy already aliases and replacs [abs~], which is ok because it
offers the exact same functionality, but you can still creat pd vanilla's
as [abs~_aliased], same would be true for [pack~_aliased] and
[unpack~_aliased], but yeah, that would be a pain.

> The best solution I can think of is
> to either find a different (unused) name for the new pack~/unpack~ or
> to offer a new name to zexy's versions (and keep the old ones too, perhaps
> in a separate "library").

There were issues in Cyclone as well and we found a way to keep the name
and not clash. We force and allow using things like [cyclone/line~] (called
from a single binary) without clashing with vanilla's [line~] - we allow
something like [cyclone/>~] (loaded from a library) which prevents clashing
with zexy's [>~]. Maybe zexy could do something like this, but old patches
that use zexy's pack~ would not work in new Pd Vanilla versions as they'd
call the new vanilla objects instead. In this case, maybe a warning when
solves it.

For reference; Cyclone objects that don't clash with vanilla objects:
append, pow~, line~, clip, clip~, table and snapshot~
  <https://lists.puredata.info/listinfo/pd-dev>
cheers