[PD-dev] multichannel signals, preliminary support

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 02:40:38 CET 2023

So, for reference and inspiration, In Max "MC" is a wrapper that can be
applied to any dsp object. see
https://cycling74.com/sdk/max-sdk-8.2.0/chapter_mc.html
 for details. I quote from it below:

"MC is not an entirely new API for MSP objects. Instead it is built on top
of the existing MSP API. Is it implemented as some additions to the MSP
signal compiler — the code that turns a graph of MSP objects into an
ordered sequence of operations on signals — to deal with patch cords that
hold more than one audio signal (...) if you want your MSP object to have
outlets that produce multi-channel signals, you will have to change the
type of the outlets from signal to multichannelsignal. An outlet of type
multichannelsignal (...) A patch cord coming from this type of outlet (...)
can be connected to any MSP object, even those that don’t know about MC.
(In that case, only the first channel will be used.) (...) The MC wrapper
looks at the name the user types, removes the “mc.” from the beginning, and
looks for a Max object with the string that remains (...) The name
“myfilter~” at the end of this message specifies the name of the help file
to open. If you want to make a special help file for the N-way version of
your object, you could do (...)

so it seems they did not create new codes and new objects, just adapted,
and even made it possible for it to open a special help patch but it's all
the same object and you can use this API to generate externals - if I get
things correctly...

cheers