[PD-dev] Removing [output~]? (was [clone] with subpatches)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:41:47 CET 2023

Em qui., 19 de jan. de 2023 às 17:14, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu>
escreveu:

> Aha, yes, let's do that.  It would be sort-of compatible with existing
> patches (just the control would be different.)
>
> One thing I never figured out was how to: (1) offer mono and stereo
> operation
> int he same object; and

Not sure what you mean, but I do have a hack that allows me to distribute a
mono input in the left inlet to both left and right output. I use it in my
[else/out~] abstraction.

Because [inlet~] now has an inlet for default value, I give it a ridiculous
default value of '10000', so when no signal is connected to the right
inlet, it outputs this stupid number and I check for it, it is equal to it
I do assume we have a mono input and route the left inlet to both channels.
Sounds good? Find attached a new object I'm starting from scratch with this
hack.

> (2) allow the level to be changed externally without
> havin to add another (confusing) inlet.

Well, [inlet~ fwd] allows us to do that now and in fact I have already
implemented it in the existing [output~] abstraction so it takes a 'level
message' to control the output level. I also use a bang message to control
the mute logic.

> So it's the lack of an all-around
> "best" way to do it that's held me back from putting something in "extra"
> so far.

Ok, let me continue to work on this one now then.

cheers