[PD-dev] New object to detect # of channels? (was: Removing [output~]?)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 19:51:32 CET 2023

> Em sex., 20 de jan. de 2023 às 13:56, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu>
> escreveu:

By the way, I'm coming around to your idea just to 'detect' when a second
> audio inlet is disconnected and switch the object into mono mode in that
> case - that's pretty smart :)

Thanks, I don't remember now if it was all me :)  it was discussed if we
could have yet another output in [inlet~] to show number of connections,
but it ended up being something too specific. This is the only use case for
me.

Now...... I already have created my first multi-channel aware external, one
that detects the number of channels in a multi-channel signal connection. I
found it useful for my [else/out~] abstraction, which now can detect if on
the left inlet we have a multi-channel signal. If there's one, then I
distribute the channels to both outputs :) if we're doing a check to see if
there's a mono input, we could also do this now in the new [output~] object
since the next version will support all this ;)

So maybe I can propose we add such an object into Vanilla. This same object
could maybe also show if a signal is connected, so we can plug the outlet
of [inlet~] into this new object and we wouldn't need the 'clever hack' and
also get number of channels. This object could be called [sigstatus~] or
something.

My object only detects number of channels and it is called [nhcs~]. Here it
is in action inside my [out~] abstraction. I don't have other examples but
I think this could be useful for other stuff, maybe other can think of more
use cases.

[image: Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 15.45.06.png]

And here's the code:
https://github.com/porres/pd-else/blob/master/Classes/Source/nchs~.c

cheers