[PD-dev] New object to detect # of channels? (was: Removing [output~]?)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 20 21:47:52 CET 2023

Am 20. Jänner 2023 20:47:53 MEZ schrieb Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>:
>ok, here's a (maybe stupid) idea, currently, this object I designed gives
>you a channel number of "1" if nothing is connected to an inlet~, not sure
>if possible but maybe "sp[0]->s_nchans" could give us "0" if nothing is
>connected to an inlet~, so this object could be used to also detect inlet~
>connection...

Which inlet~?
I see that your use-case is centered around connecting this object directly to [inlet~], but in general this just will not be the case, so i think we should disentangle the two objects conceptually.
I don't think we have a precedent of a "companion object" that is only auxiliary to another go one.

Or put otherwise: do we want to an object that tells us how many connections the [osc~] object that connects to it has?

If this doesn't really work (and personally I'm not convinced that it does), merging the functionality into [inlet~] itself might make more sense...

mfg.sfg.jfd
IOhannes