Watchdog for POSIX RT (Linux)?

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Thu Mar 12 02:35:18 CET 1998

Miller Puckette wrote:

> Larry's idea sounds good.  On SGIs I was planning to set a virtual alarm and
> measure whether the CPU had eaten more than 90% of the processor, in which
> case it would automatically sleep for 10 msec every 100 msec or so.  But
> I don't know how this will work out under NT.  The good thing is it doesn't
> use threads at all so should be easy to port among unixes at least, if we're
> given that ALARM signals can reach high-priority processes.   Is that true
> of Linux???

I don't know too much yet about signals on Unix, but I haven't heard
anything about problems with signals on Linux with POSIX Real-time
processes, and I do read the Linux newsgroups.

But I don't know anything about the ALARM signal specficicly.

Hopefully Guenter knows more...

Larry

--  Larry Troxler --  lt at westnet.com  --  Patterson, NY USA  --