hardware acceleration for GEM

Mark Danks mdanks at barky.xaostools.com
Sat May 16 23:07:58 CEST 1998

  I seem to recall that Voodoo (maybe 2) has a beta OpenGL driver. There
are a bunch of bugs with it though.  The main thing is that there MUST be
a fully compliant OpenGL driver.  The quake miniport, etc. won't work.
The FireGL 1000 is supposed to be pretty good and costs a few hundred.

  It also seems like GEM is running slower with this release under software
acceleration...has anyone else experienced this?  I don't normally run under
software, so it is really hard for me to test it.

  If people let me know what hardware accelerators they are using, I will
compile a list.  I am putting together a "benchmark" patch so that people
can tell how well the cards will do (with texturing, polygons, etc).  I would
really like information about acceleration under Linux.

Later, Mark

http://cybermed.ucsd.edu/mdanks