GEM and Voodo Rush: It works!

Mark Danks mdanks at smtp.xaostools.com
Tue May 26 20:34:15 CEST 1998

Congrats Norbert!

Norbert Math wrote:

> Finally I succeeded to get GEM running under Voodoo Rush :-)))
> I am actually testing the "GemMoveImages" example and it runs fast and
> smooth (about 10-15 fps).

  Can you please run with profiling and let us know exactly how fast you
are running?  Most of the example patches should run on at 20 frames per
second (the default rate).

  Also, in talking with other people who have the Voodoo chip set, my
understanding is that you can hook another monitor up to your 2-D card
and see your normal workspace (most people use a cheap monitor).  Also,
ctrl-F9 should switch you back to normal 2-D mode.  I also know that
there is a Mesa "hack" which will do hardware rendering to a window for
the Voodoo (about 1/2 the frame rate).

  If you want to get rid of the splash screen, I think that you need to
set the environment variable
FX_GLIDE_NO_SPLASH to 0
Check around on the web if this doesn't work, I know that it is
possible.

<snip>
> PS.
> I also would like to know about hardware accelration under linux!

  So would I!

  Also, in about a week or so I should know a lot more about the Voodoo
chipset.  I am changing jobs and will be working for the game company
Stormfront Studios.  One of my primary platforms there will be a
Voodoo2.  I'll let people know how that chipset works.

Later, Mark