OSS Linux sound drivers

Michael Lechasseur mlecha at music.mcgill.ca
Sat Nov 14 04:20:43 CET 1998

	How well are the commercial OSS sound drivers liked by PD in Linux?
I've been trying them out in order to combine my Roland SCC-1 for MIDI,
with my Sound Blaster 16 for digital audio.

	The SB16 works fine with RedHat's sndconfig program, but MIDI is not
supported.

	I try the OSS, and I can get MIDI out to my MPU-401 on the SCC-1, but
the audio of the SB16 dies.  PD reports:

	pd: dacs died.. switching to alternate time source

	Anyway, I'm not too concerned, as there are alternate freeware drivers
for my SCC-1, but I'll have to recompile my kernel, which I haven't
tried before.

	pd and unix are going quite well otherwise..

	Michael Lechasseur