pd on a Mac

Andrew Brouse brouse at music.mcgill.ca
Thu Dec 3 22:35:59 CET 1998

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Mark Danks wrote:

>   I don't know if we have any Macintosh hackers out there, but Paul
> Ossenbruggen has a very, very, very alpha version of Pd running on the
> Mac OS.  It is slow as pond water, lots of features are missing, etc.
> but you can add two numbers together :-)

I suggested to the folks at LinuxPPC that they include it in their
upcoming version 5 release CD. (Which will be more or less compliant with
RedHat 5.1 and glibc libraries etc.)  If people haven't checked it out -
it is very nice, boots into KDE, and really cooks on a G3. Check it out at
< www.linuxppc.org >.

I am interested in trying to compile pd and gem for LinuxPPC maybe next
year - no time right now.

>   I know that Paul hasn't had any time to work on it lately, so if
> anyone wants to give it a shot, let me know.  I'll hook you up with Paul
> and the source code.  Obviously, Pd/GEM should be much easier on
> Carbon/OS X, so you might just want to skip 8.5...

I have to agree on that one.  I would love to see a port to OS X Server
and would be willing to lend a hand in any little ways I could.  If the
SoundKit and MusicKit have survived from Next, that would make the whole
affair even easier still....

Cheers,

Andrew Brouse
Computer Applications in Music