Full-duplex questions

Michael Lechasseur mlecha at music.mcgill.ca
Sat Dec 19 19:07:27 CET 1998

I'm having problems with full-duplex mode in Linux.

I'm using a Sound Blaster PCI128 with OSS/Linux and alternately with ALSA
drivers.

The ALSA drivers seem very nice BTW, a bit of pain to setup, but they sound
great.

With OSS/Linux I get this message when starting pd:
pd: dacs died.. switching to alternate time source

the same error occours with the -adc switch, -dac works fine.

Using the ALSA drivers, which are full duplex, pd starts in -dac mode even
if it the switch is not specified. ie: I get the "write only" message from
pd.

Using the ALSA compatible mixer "xamixer" I can mix multiple inputs with no
problems while listening to the output.

I don't know if this is the best way to test full-duplex capabilities in
Linux?  Any ideas?

Does pd support 16-bit full-duplex audio?  It seems to work ok in win95.

Thanks.