problem compiling externs in NT 4.0

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104nfs.UCSD.EDU
Fri Jan 29 19:46:10 CET 1999

HI All,

This note is relevant only to Windows users:

I've discovered that to compile externs in Pd-0.24, you need Visual C++
version 6.0.  I just tried to compile one using 5.0 and got:

\ftp\pd\bin\pd.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or disk full: cannot seek to 0x36ad647c

You can still compile using the includes and libs from pd-0.23 and use the
extern in 0.24; alternatively you can upgrade to VC 6.0 and compile
with the new Pd (I _think_ .. haven't tested this carefully.)

Is this a problem for anyone?

Is there any reason I shouldn't go back to using VC 5.0 for building Pd
releases for NT?  (does 6.0 generate faster code to anyone's knowledge?)

thanks
Miller