problems starting pd

Guenter Geiger guenter.geiger at psp-vie.be.philips.com
Fri Feb 5 20:43:04 CET 1999

Hi !

You seem to have problems with your network setup.

First try

> ping localhost

This should show you how the connection to your localhost is working.
If this is not working, your network loopback device is misconfigured.

After doing

> /sbin/ifconfig

You should see a line like

lo     Link encap: Local Loopback

If it isn´t there, your loopback device isn´t configured at all.
Pd connects its User interface and server through TCP/IP. You need a working
loopback device if you want to run Pd.

You could also look into /etc/hosts, where there should be an entry like:
127.0.0.1      localhost

And last but not least, the command

> /sbin/route

should show you something like:

Destination        Gateway          Genmask
localnet            *               255.255.255.0    ....

unfortunately I am not using Redhat, so someone more familiar with the Redhat
setup
can probably give you more information what is going wrong.
If, for example, "ping localhost" doesn´t work, you might ask on a Rehat list
what is
going wrong.

http://www.sirius.com/~ewandersFrom - Mon Feb  8 12:00:26 1999