shot self in foot

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104nfs.UCSD.EDU
Thu Feb 18 18:28:45 CET 1999

Hi Pd-ers,

For you non native English speakers, shooting yourself in the foot is
a methaphor, meaning that you pulled the trigger on your pistol
before you took it out of the holster.  Here's how I just shot mine:

NT Versions of Pd through 0.23 have a file, pd.dll, which "externs" link
into.  In version 0.24 I renamed this "pdlib.dll" to avoid confusing the
Gates debugger.  However, I just realized this morning that this change
BREAKS ALL EXTERNS.  The only people I know of who are impacted are myself
and Mark Danks but there may well be others.

I'm busy now trying to put out a release 0.25 mainly to fix problems in the
0.24 release...  Should I leave "pdlib" the way it is in 0.24?

The SGI release 0.24 is in trouble too.  Somehow the object files got
compiled non-optimized so that 0.24 is about 1/2 the speed of 0.23.  Oops...

Miller