Possible Memory Leak in pd-linux-0.25TEST4.tar

Guenter Geiger geiger at epy.co.at
Tue Mar 30 23:41:16 CEST 1999

est at hyperreal.org writes:
 > Hmm, I don't even get that far.  I've tried the last 3 versions of pd
 > on RedHat 5.2 (using all their latest updates) and every one of them
 > pretty quickly freezes the whole system in a Tk file-open dialog.  I
 > can't even transfer to my character-based virtual terminals or reboot
 > with control-at-delete!  I also tried the latest Tcl/Tk (8.05) with
 > the same results.

Mhmm, do you mean version 0.23, 0.24, and 0.25 ?

First of all never call pd under user root. (We might add a
switch for enabling high priority, as this happens quite often)
The freeze of your machine should go away.

Your problem might be related (puh, .. again ) to the audio drivers.
(Or possibly the way I access them through very short audio buffers)
This can cause a hang in the pd main process, which is most commonly
the problem in these cases (Nothing to do with your Tcl/Tk version).

You might try the -dac or -nosound switch on version 0.24 or
it's corresponding -noadc in version 0.25.

The open panel should then work again.

What soundcard, kernel version, sounddriver do you use ?

Note for Version 0.25:

As you probably realized, between version 0.25TEST3 for linux and
0.25TEST4, we made a switch of responsibilities for the linux
sounddriver code. We therefore have two rather different versions
(TEST3, which is on ftp://wonk.epy.co.at/pub/pd/linux/ and version
0.25TEST4, which is the original version from Miller).
Both of them are considered to really be TEST versions, as in general
it is hard to predict how the Linux sounddrivers behave under
"realtime" conditions, and we need feedback there as we can't possibly
test on all soundcards, with all drivers.

Guenter