PDing my MSPing

Michal Seta mis at music.mcgill.ca
Tue Jun 1 18:04:28 CEST 1999

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, [iso-8859-1] ·. wrote:

|no beos on g3 is a point.
|but also, al the highend pc-laptops i think are pricewise much the same as any better g3, so ... hm.
|also, i have little direct experience with linuxppc, but i assume its running pretty good from what i "see", so for
|example pd running on it ..

I had Linuxppc running on my PPC7200/120 for a (long) while.  Eventually I
got rid of it for HD space...

LinuxPPC is quite stable although there seem to still be some problems on
G3 machines.  But I'm not following the Mailing list discussion anymore so
I don't know it present state.  In my experience, as I wanted to do some
work with sound as well there were certain limitations at the time.

1.  Sound was very shaky.  Any sound drivers were developed to support
playing CDs and mp3s.  That worked fine but I haven't had good experiences
with running pd.  pd compiled fine but the sound quality was just awful.
The same with CSound (if running it in real-time).  Otherwise, linuxppc
run a lot faster than MacOS 8.0 and I did some benchmarks running Csound
in both OSs and under linux it run MUCH faster.

So if there was some improvement in handling sound under linux it is worth
using.  Otherwise it's very stable and great for just about anything
except serious audio/MIDI work.

Also, at the time there was no MIDI support over serial ports.  I guess it
could be hacked quite easily but it definitely wasn't a task for me.

my 0.02 cents.

     ......   Michal Seta  ......