hello

Scott Draves spot at transmeta.com
Wed Jun 16 04:11:14 CEST 1999

hi, i have just installed Pd on my new linux machine and it works!

i plan on working on eye-candy graphics controlled by sound.  my first
project is to port bomb (http://draves.org/bomb).  after that i will
work on a more modular and better intergrated approach to 2D graphics
in Pd.  in the meantime i have a lot to learn about Pd and GEM.  i
hope you will tolerate some beginner questions.

i have encountered two glitches so far:

1) The sound driver thinks my Sound Blaster ISA AWE64 doesn't support
   duplex IO, contrary to my understanding. Guenter describes a patch
   for PCI128 cards that sounds like it solves the same problem.  Is
   this the right fix?

2) When I open 2B_sampler.pd in the doc, i get:

[spot at salvia src]$ pd -adc
Pd version 0.24 test
pd: opened /dev/dsp in read only mode
pd: advance 34, samplerate = 44100, channels = 2
pd: starting engine
MIDIlib: Found one MIDI port on /dev/midi00
pd: external fname = ./qsample.pd.pd_linux
pd: external fname = /usr/lib/pd/externs/qsample.pd.pd_linux
pd: external fname = turn/qsample.pd.pd_linux
pd: turn/qsample.pd.pd_linux: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
pd: external fname = ./qgain.pd.pd_linux
pd: external fname = /usr/lib/pd/externs/qgain.pd.pd_linux
pd: external fname = turn/qgain.pd.pd_linux
pd: turn/qgain.pd.pd_linux: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

is that a known bug?  i don't know why it's trying to load a qgain
object because qgain is just a subpatch...