Sound Out on Windows NT 4.0

Lawrence Joseph joseph at binky.ri.mgh.mcgill.ca
Tue Jun 22 23:07:21 CEST 1999

Hi,

I just downloaded Pd ver 0.25 for Windows NT 4.0, and tried to run the
test audio and MIDI patch.  There seems to be no problem with the MIDI,
but I get no audio at all.  Upon loading, Pd gives the message:

waveOutOpen device:  The specified device is already in use.  Wait until
it is free, and then try again.

Looking through the list archives, I saw something about using the
-soundoutdev flag in this situation, but trying out various numbers for
x in -soundoutdev x did not help, although it did change the message to
other things like "out of range" device numbers.  I also played around
with the audio buffer, but this did not change anything either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Lawrence