PRELIMINARY Pd 0.26 release and HTML documentation

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104nfs.UCSD.EDU
Wed Aug 4 22:43:41 CEST 1999

Hi Pders,

I'm finishing up a Pd 0.26 release, perhaps for this weekend
sometime; there is some preliminary stuff available now, and I've
made some changes in the way I'm distributing things.

First, my home page is now
    http://lena.ucsd.edu/~msp

You can get to the software distribution from there, or you can
just look at all the files:
    http://lena.ucsd.edu/~msp/Software

If you go there, you get pre-releases as well as "clean"
ones.  The documentation is in
    http://lena.ucsd.edu/~msp/Pd_documentation/index.htm

which you can also find via my home page, in case any of these
urls changes in the future.

Meanwhile, you're welcome to grab the Pd 0.26 pre-releases which
are available for linux and NT (I haven't got the IRIX version
working yet.)  There are big improvements over 0.25:

    - better control over audio latency
    - +~, etc, can take numbers directly; fewer sig~s needed
    - you can switch~ audio sub-patches on and off

On another topic, I'm not even trying to run Alsa over here at
the moment, so unless someone else out there is willing to try
out 0.26 with Alsa I bet it won't work.

On the other hand, my cheapo PCI128 card (Guenter has one too)
seems to be able to put sounds through in under 10msec using free
OSS!  One local audiophile here in SD has complained about
PCI128's low audio quality, but as for me I can't hear anything
over the sound of the refrigerator downstairs so I'm not worried.
I'm about to try an SBLive (Creative's driver; proprietary
hardware) and have an OPL thing too...  if anyone out there would
like to share experiences with these or other cards I would be
happy to post the results in the HTML doc.

Miller