Linux and Latency

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.UCSD.EDU
Thu Aug 19 05:50:02 CEST 1999

Hi Guenter & Reine,

Well, I hacked pretty hard on the sound support for 0.26 (so
making "-audiobuf" use the GETISPACE/GETOSPACE ioctls for instance.)
On drivers that support those features (like my Creative PCI driver)
this works great, but apparently I really should be offering a
"-stupid-linux-audio-driver" flag to go back and do it the 0.25
way with -setfragsize or whatever.  I confess I don't know what the
fragment size business even does, but on PCI128 it's nowhere as good
as using GETISPACE/GETOSPACE.

So I propose to try to put out a "patch" of 0.26 giving the choice,
perhaps using Guenter's proposed flag name.  Right now I'm trying to put
out a new release of fiddle~ etc, so the "patch" might not hit the
web until this weekend or so...

cheers
Miller