PD & MacLinux

Michal Seta mis at music.mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 23 03:33:42 CEST 1999

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, [iso-8859-1] Søren Bovbjerg wrote:

|Hi PD'ers
|
|Some of my friends at Aalborg University are working on an interactive installation and are considering using PD to do some of the work. The problem: they are Mac people! So: will PD run under Linux on a Mac? Has anybody had any succes with that? Can it be done? It will have to be recompiled, for sure.

I had tried it on LinuxPPC R4.
Actually I did on MkLinux DR3 as well but moved on to linuxppc very soon
after that.

LinuxPPC was, at the time much more stable and FASTER than MkLinux.
I got rid of the linux side on my mac long time ago tho.

Impressions:
I hadn't had the proper sound driver (there apparently was a commercial
OSS that was working well in full duplex but only for a specific version
of the kernel).  pd compiled fine.  And that's good because I'd have no
idea how to make it compile well.  The sound however was distorted.  I had
to scale my outputs by 0.01 to get a sine wave that yu hear in the demo
patch.  And I had the same problem with CSound...

Also I could put more oscilators in pd than MSP on the same machine (ppc
7200/120).

Hope this helps.

I would like to know i anyone actually runs audio on a Linux/PPC box that
would make i worth getting back to linux and pd on a PPC.

     ......   Michal Seta  ......