multichannel Pd

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.mhsg.ac.at
Wed Sep 29 10:36:38 CEST 1999

Hello,

Iain.Mott at cmis.CSIRO.AU writes:

[...]
 > If I take a low cost sound card option - for example using two stereo sound
 > cards in adjacent slots to get four channels - will this work? eg. if i use
 > a prompt like: "pd -soundoutdev 0 -outchannels 4"
 >
 > This is where card no. 1 is in device slot 0 and card no. 2 is in 1.

No, because they are not synced, so one card runs away sligthly,
because the crystals (there should be ones)  are not totaly equal, but

a) 4 channesl can be done with 1 PCI128, thanks guenter

and if you are good in soldering there is a trick:

b) synchronising the cards:

Take out one card as master and the others as slave by soldering out
the crystals. and solder a shielded cable from the master card to
the slave card.

NOTE: I have heard this is working, but maybe not with all kind of
cards, so there is no garantuee of stability !!!!

mfg winfried