Windows issues

Richard Dobson rwd at cableinet.co.uk
Fri Nov 12 11:29:42 CET 1999

I'm not sure how OS-independent an install package could be. The Windows
paradigm of course is to provide a 'setup.exe' installer (doubtless
based on InstallShield) which queries the user for a preferred drive and
directory (while offering a default), checks for disk space, machine
type and OS version, and installs all system info such as directory
paths, install directory and default execution options to the registry
(previously, an 'ini' file would have been used - still can be, in
fact). A 'settings' menu within the program would be available for the
user to change paths, and, er, settings (such as audio devices, etc).
The environment variable system is now somewhat deprecated under Windows
(requires a reboot, and affects all users, whereas Registry updates can
be dynamic and on a per-user basis), but is retained for DOS-mode
programs which don't access or know about the registry.

In the short term, a "PDLIBDIR" variable would work well; VST plugin
users are well used to putting plugins (which are dlls) into a specific
folder, then Cubase or whichever loads all plugins in that folder on
startup. DirectShow plugins load in much the same way, except that they
can be located anywhere, and the Registry knows where they are via the
GUID.

I think this should be separate from a "PDPATH" variable as that might
reasonably be used for other things - sample soundfiles or whatnot (like
"SFDIR" etc for Csound).

I have not even downloaded the Linux version of PD so I dont know what
is currently done; the Linux paradigm is more prescriptive generally, as
the directory structure is (eg default install to /usr/local/pd), so
that presumably most settings could be stored in a .pdrc file in the
users home directory, and an INSTALL.sh script or makefile used in the
usual way.

Within the program, so long as the calls to system info are abstracted
(don't call getenv() directly but use wrapper functions such as
Get_pdlibdir() or something), they can be customized for each platform.
Similarly, functions need to be available to set options, such as
SetAudioOutDevice(), whcih can either be called in response to a
command-line parse, or dynamically in response to a user menu action.

With regard to Windows shortcuts - this works very well, but there is no
icon for pd.exe yet! I have cobbled one together (yellow capitals "PD"
over the desktop background) and stored it in pd.dll, for now. Certainly
a snappy artistic one is required - perhaps a picture of a 'bang' wired
to an object?

Richard Dobson

--
Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
http://wkweb5.cableinet.co.uk/rwd (LU: 23rd August 1999)