Pd problems under Linux

Nick Fells nick at music.gla.ac.uk
Wed Dec 1 17:43:36 CET 1999

Hi all,

Just installed Miller's latest release of Pd-linux (patch 2). I'm using
RedHat 6.0, with a Turtle Beach Fiji soundcard (i.e. OSS-like driver,
though not actually OSS).

When I start Pd with -nosound, it works fine (though without audio,
obviously). But when I start it with audio, something weird happens to
the gui: the menus screw up, and the DIO errors box (which is always
red) only operates once before freezing up.

In more detail:
Create a new patch - doesn't work
Open a patch - brings up the open file dialog but doesn't subsequently
open anything
Quit - brings up the Quit? question, but doesn't subsequently do
anything
Message - works ok

Find - the options don't do anything

Audio - the options don't do anything

Help - 'Test audio...' doesn't do anything.

Yet the 'peak meters' and 'compute audio' buttons do toggle on/off.

Any ideas? Previous releases had similar problems. This one shows slight
improvement over patch 1 in that the DIO errors button does function
once.

Nick

--
Dr Nick Fells,