using two sounddevices?

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Mon Dec 6 22:06:03 CET 1999

Marius

I think that there are some sync issues when using two sound cards in
this way that may only show up when trying to do real time processing
like PD.  As far as I know there is no provision for this in PD at the
moment but I have written the beginnings of this into the ALSA driver
code that is in the latest release.  One of the questions is how to
specify which devices to open on the command line.  Any thoughts
anyone?  The -soundoutdev and -soundindev only apply to the RME
Hammerfall card.

Karl

s_medge wrote:

> hi,
>
> some programs (w95) can handle two soundcards simultanously. i actually
> run pd with different devices for soundin and soundout. (no full duplex
> cards). my question is, if it would be possible to use both sounddevices
> for output (four channels)? is there an argument like soundoutdev 1+2???
>
> marius.

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services           |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| 410/659-8297                                      |