PPC Linux and PD

Karl W. MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Wed Feb 16 02:29:04 CET 2000

As I am the person trying to adapt s_linux.c to the new ALSA I can say the
only thing that I was thinking of changing outside of the existing alsa
functions is making the sys_send_dacs function a pointer to a function set
in the respective open functions.  I am looking at four perspective ways
to write to a sound card under the new alsa (block and stream modes with
either ints of floats) so the current forest of ifs everytime you write to
the sound card would get a little out of control.  The good news is that
it is possible to write floats to sound cards that will accept them with
sample level accuracy . . . of course with no documentation it has been
fun figuring all of this out!  Maybe you should just tell me what you had
in mind.  Hopefully I will have something in another week or two - it is
floating back to the top of my list of things to do.

Karl

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Miller Puckette wrote:

> These symptoms come up with Pd hangs and the GUI doesn't know it.
> Probably, Pd is waiting to open the DSP device.  I've got an idea how
> to detect this at least, but I'm loathe to go fiddling in s_linux.c
> while someone else is trying to adapt it to the new ALSA...
>
> cheers
> Miller
>
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 02:36:20PM -0500, Michal Seta wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Garry Kling wrote:
> >
> > |Getting PD to run on a PPC with Linux *should* be this simple:
> > |
> > [snip]
> >
> > I had no problem compiling it.  It compiles without any errors.  It seems
> > to have a problems with the tcl/tk combo because some menus don't work at
> > all and opening patches is impossible.  The status window shows the path
> > of the patch I try to open but nothing come up.  Also, when I try to quit,
> > I get the confirm box and when I say "yes" the wndow sits still open.
> >
> > Perhaps someone is aware of some bug in the tcl/tk 8.0 for linuxPPC???
> >
> > PPC 7200/120
> > LinuxPPC Q3 1999

> >      ......   Michal Seta  ......

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services           |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| 410/659-8297                                      |